Raw Tuscan Kale Salad with rainbow lacinato kale
- 1 bunch Tuscan kale (approx. 5 oz. or 5 cups)
- 1 clove garlic
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- ¼ cup Parmesan or Pecorino cheese
- 3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup lemon juice (approx. 1 lemon)
- ⅛ tsp red pepper flakes
- Ground black pepper
- 2 handfuls of coarse breadcrumbs
- Trim the bottom few inches off the kale stems and discard. Slice the kale into ¾ inch ribbons. You should have 4 to 5 cups. Place the kale in a large bowl.
- Mince the garlic and ¼ teaspoon of salt into a paste in a small bowl. Add cheese, oil, lemon juice, pinch of salt, pepper flakes, and black pepper. Whisk for 2 minutes to combine.
- Pour the dressing over the kale and toss very well (the dressing will be thick and need lots of tossing to coat the leaves).
- If making homemade breadcrumbs, toast bread until golden brown and dry throughout, then crumble.
- Let the salad sit for 5 minutes, then serve topped with the bread crumbs, additional cheese, and a drizzle of oil.
- 675 calories for the whole salad
- 338 calories for half the salad
- 169 calories if divided into four servings