4 cups water
1 1/3 cups sugar
2/3 cups brown sugar
2 cups unsweetened cocoa powder
1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- Combine the water and sugars in a 3 1/2 quart non-reactive saucepan and place over medium heat.
- Whisk until the sugar dissolves
- Whisk in the cocoa and bring to a simmer. Simmer for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Remove from the heat and transfer to a medium bowl. Stir in the vanilla.
- Chill in the refrigerator for 2 hours.
- Stir the chilled mixture and pour into the freezer bowl of your ice cream maker. Let mix until thickened, about 25-30 minutes. (If too soupy, you might want to freeze for a little while before serving.)
This recipe came with my Cuisinart 2-Qt ice cream maker. It is rich and dark and perfect for hot summer evenings! It is low calorie compared to ice cream, only 138 calories per 1/2 cup serving. It is also milk-free, egg-free, soy-free, gluten-free, nut-free and peanut-free.